The successful candidate will be able to analyze, value security for, critically assess, and structure all types of commercial mortgage loan applications, including land acquisition, residential and commercial construction, inventory loans, bridge financing, and repositioning loans. Your ability to identify critical issues, inconsistencies in the applications as well as an assessment of the feasibility of real estate projects will be critical in this role.
Working under the direction of KV Capital’s Director, Mortgage Underwriting, you will be responsible to:
- Complete timely review and feasibility assessment of project based mortgage loan applications under an asset secured model;
- Identify, assess, quantify, and evaluate moderate to complex risks on a project by project basis through:o Valuation of real estate security;
o Developing and completing efficient and comprehensive due diligence procedures on a deal by deal basis;
o Preparing and maintaining working papers to support underwriting recommendations; and
o Structuring financing terms, pricing risk, and recommending deals.
- Initiate, organize, and conduct ongoing monitoring of projects over the term of any financing advanced;
- Work closely with in-house business development staff, borrowers, and third party brokers / clients to develop and maintain positive business relationships; and
- Provide on-going mortgage administration services, including processing mortgage advances, renewals, payouts, and discharges; as well as preparing periodic reports.
KV Capital is focused on developing meaningful, long-lasting, and mutually beneficial relationships with our clients and brokers. It will be incumbent upon you to maintain and build the reputation of the firm by delivering clear communication, timely service, and providing expert advice.
STRUCTURE: KV Capital employee
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time
LOCATION: Edmonton, Alberta
EXPERIENCE: Intermediate to Senior level
JOB FUNCTION: Underwriting
COMPENSATION: Base salary commensurate with experience and education supplemented by incentive-based compensation tied to the key performance metric of volume of deals underwritten and managed with a successful funding outcome.
QUALIFICATIONS / DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERTISE
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Exceptional analytical, communication, and organization skills;
- Strong financial acumen;
- Working knowledge of the real estate and/or mortgage industry;
- Awareness of local (Albertan and Canadian) economic conditions and indicators;
- Professional, friendly, and courteous demeanor;
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office Suite, with a demonstrated expertise in Excel;
- A degree, designation or certification in a related field is preferred (note this position will provide qualified hours for CBV and CFA candidates);
- 5 years of directly related experience using Spin, various real estate information databases, and performing credit bureau searches would be an asset, but not required.
To apply, please forward your resume and cover letter in confidence to:
Director, Mortgage Underwriting
firstname.lastname@example.org (please indicator “Associate Director” position in the subject line)